Sunday, March 16, 2008

Book XXI: String the bow


The day has arrived where it is now time for Penelope to give in. The suitors have taken full control and now actually have a shot to become the new kind, and a husband to my wife. Penelope goes into the room where my bow is kept, and weeps when she takes it out. For I am sure it reminds her of me, and my past. Sadly the bow now represents her future, or what she expects her future to become. For the suitor who can string the bow and shoot it through  twelve axes successfully will take her hand in marriage. Telemakhos asks to be first to shoot the arrow, however, he fails to even string the bow. The suitors set everything up, necessary for the preparation, but they all cannot string the bow. While everything is taking place I need to secure the loyalty with Eumeaus and Philoetius, so I reveal the scar on my foot to show them that I truely am Odysseus. The suitors feel like they must make an offering, or sacrifice to the god of archery, Apollo, so that he may help them. However, I, the great Odysseus, comes to the suitors (disguised as a beggar still), and asks for a crack at stringing the bow. Grasping my old bow in my hands once again was a great feeling. I take the bow, grab the string and bring it up to down, stringing it with ease. Then I reached for the arrow, placed it in the string, and pulled back to my chin, and released. Everyone watched in awe as the bow soared through the air, through the twelve axes. A perfect shot. I have returned. 

No comments: