Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Book XVIIII: Penelope's Dream


Penelope comes to me, because she has heard news of "the beggar". She asks me a bunch of questions to see if i really do know Odysseus. I describe myself, (Odysseus) in such details and accuracy that she becomes hysterical, and cries. She offers me her hospitality, a bed to sleep in for the night, which I decline, for I would feel more comfortable on the floor. However, I allow Eurekleyia to clean my feet. While she is scrubbing she finds a distinct scar on my foot and realizes that I am indeed Odysseus. I have Athena distract her so the secret isn't released and our plan can continue. Before Penelope returns to bed she recalls a dream to me, (the beggar). Its about a eagle that comes down and murders all of her geese. The twenty geese that belonged to her. I immediately connect this to the suitors that do indeed basically belong to Penelope. The eagle then declares that it is her husband, who has killed all of the geese. Its hard to not shout out to her that it will soon come true. But i know that I must remain silent to protect the future and the plan to kill the suitors. Penelope concurs that she will indeed marry to a suitor, the one who can shoot arrows through hoops the best. She has no idea what her dream really means, and how it connects to what I am really planning on doing. I pray that there is enough time. Keeping secrets that can effect the life of loved ones, or anyone, is the hardest thing to do. 

No comments: